Electrical repairs

Tebcal Home

What can you do yourself and when is it better to call a professional?

Electricity is an essential part of our homes, but it can also be dangerous if not handled correctly. We often face small electrical problems at home, and it’s natural to wonder which ones we can fix on our own and which ones require the help of a professional electrician. Here is a practical guide to help you make informed decisions:
Tebcal Home
Black and White Electric Plug
Two Lighted Pendant Lamps

Changing light bulbs and fuses:

  • You can do it: Changing blown bulbs is a simple and safe task that anyone can do. Be sure to turn off the power before replacing them.
  • Better with help: Replacing fuses in a fuse panel is something most people can do, but if you’re not sure, it’s best to call a professional.
Close-up Photo of an Outdated Outlet

2. Installing outlets and switches:

  • You can do it: Replacing faulty outlets or switches is relatively simple with the right tools.
  • Better with help: For new installations or in wet areas, such as kitchens or bathrooms, it’s best to enlist the help of a professional.
A Man Working on the Circuit Breaker Switch

3. Troubleshoot breaker problems:

  • You can do it: Often, problems with switches are due to loose connections that you can tighten yourself.
  • Better with help: If the problem persists or involves damaged wiring, it’s best to leave it to a professional.
Ceiling Fans above Bridge

4. Installation of recessed lights and ceiling fans:

  • You can do it: Following the manufacturer’s instructions, installing recessed lights or ceiling fans can be a rewarding DIY project.
  • Better with help: If you feel insecure working with electrical wiring or if the project is complex, consider hiring a professional.
Close-Up Photo of Light Bulb With Smoke

5. Electrical overload problems:

  • Better with help: Electrical overload problems can be complicated and dangerous to diagnose. If you experience this type of problem, it is best to call an electrician for a professional evaluation.
White Flyer Paper With Chua Viem Xoang Text

TIPS

1. Keep wires in good condition:

Regularly check electrical cords for signs of wear, such as stripping or deterioration. If you find any damaged cords, replace them immediately to avoid risk of fire or electric shock.

2. Avoid overloading outlets:

Don’t plug too many devices into a single plug or outlet. Use power strips with overload protection and make sure not to exceed their maximum capacity.


3. Don’t overload electrical circuits:

Evenly distribute the electrical load in your home to avoid overloading circuits. If you experience frequent short circuits or blown fuses, it may be a sign that you are using too much power on a single circuit.


4. Use protective devices:

Install surge protectors in electrical outlets to protect your electronic devices from sudden voltage fluctuations.


5. Turn off appliances when not in use:

Wash your pets’ food and water dishes regularly to prevent bacteria and odor buildup. Wash dishes with hot water and detergent, and rinse them thoroughly before refilling.


6. Don’t block appliance ventilation:

Make sure appliances such as refrigerators, dryers and air conditioners have enough space around them for proper ventilation. Blocking vents can cause overheating and appliance failure.


7. Protect outdoor wiring:

If you have electrical wires running around the outside of your home, adequately protect them with conduit or conduit to prevent damage from exposure to the elements or human activities.


8. Keep electrical panels clean:

Regularly clean your home’s electrical panels to remove dust and debris that may accumulate and affect their operation.


9. Do not handle electrical installations if you are not qualified:

Leave any complicated or dangerous electrical work to a qualified electrician. Handling electrical installations without knowledge can be extremely dangerous and can cause serious injury or even death.


10. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby:

In case of an emergency, such as a short circuit causing a fire, make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand and know how to use it properly. Safety should always be your number one priority when it comes to electricity.

Publicaciones Similares